How to Look and Feel Younger
One of the most common questions that patients ask me is, “what can I do to age gracefully?” While there is no true “fountain of youth” or a magic pill, there are many things you can do to slow down the aging process and age more gracefully. My holistic approach can help you feel stronger, more energetic, and healthy regardless of your age. While my treatment plan will vary by sex, personal composition and goals, the core principles are still the same.
Your Diet is a Major Key
The aging process involves many factors. However, here are a few of the most important aspects of aging; increase in inflammation, increase in insulin resistance, increase in body fat, loss of muscle mass, reduction in sex hormone and adrenal hormone levels, and impairment in your thyroid function.
What you need to understand is that low fat, high carbohydrate diets will accelerate all of the above. Diets filled with healthy fats (like eggs, meat and cheese), with no sugar and healthy levels of carbohydrates will serve to decrease inflammation, decrease insulin resistance, decrease your body fat, increase your muscle mass, enhance production of your sex hormone and adrenal hormone levels, and as a consequence improve your thyroid function. Adhere to the following rules to age more gracefully:
- You should not: Consume metabolic poisons like sugar, aspartame, Sucralose, monosodium glutamate (MSG), pesticides and insecticides (used on conventional produce), GMOs, antibiotics, growth hormones, and unnatural diets (used on conventional farm animals), toxic inflammatory oils like soy and canola.
- You should: Eat foods that are as natural, healthy and organic as possible. Use only organic butter, coconut oil or olive oil.
- You should not: Over consume carbohydrates (breads, rice, pastas, starchy vegetables) this will increase your insulin levels. High insulin contributes to every chronic degenerative disease by increasing inflammation in your body. High insulin also promotes the conversion of your healthy sex hormones into unhealthy sex hormones.
- You should: Eat plenty of healthy vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, chicken and cheese – preferably organic.
- Get your “beauty sleep”: Your sleep habits are vital to your rate of aging. Restful, restorative sleep actually
- has anti-aging effects. On the other hand, poor sleep habits will accelerate your aging at an alarming rate.
- You should not: stay up too late at night and/or sleep in a room that is exposed to light
- You should: get to bed early, turn off your lights and TV and sleep in pitch black.
- Spend time outside and “ground yourself”: You should also spend time outdoors exposed to the healing power of fresh air and sunshine and walking barefoot on the Earth
During your consultation, I will evaluate, I will carefully examine your physiology, looking for stressors and imbalances that contribute to unwellness and accelerated aging.
Are you interested in my holistic approach to aging? Come in for a consultation with Dr. Rothman by calling, 732-268-7663 and establish a better plan guaranteed to help you improve your health, feel more youthful, and age with grace.